Monday, November 14, 2016

The Wonder of Schnitzel!

Hey Guys!

I'm here to tell you guys about the wonder that is schnitzel. Ohmygod, I love schnitzel so much. The first schnitzel I ever had was made by my father. First of all, you have to know that my father is an AMAZING cook. And I'm not just saying that because I'm biased. Everyone who's ever had his cooking is always blown away by his skills. My friends still freak out when they about the barbecue ribs he made us. My dad's cooking isn't the only reason I'm obsessed with Schnitzel. It's a kind of dish that's so simple in taste you can't help but love it.


Schnitzel is pretty simple to make and I've made it multiple times. First, I buy a pork loin. I flatten that the pork with a metal mallet until the meat is flat but not so thing you can see through it. Then I coat the pork in eggs that have been beaten. The egg mixture allows breadcrumbs to cover the pork. I alternate between covering the pork in egg and breadcrumbs until all the pork has been prepared. Then I heat up oil in a pan at a high heat that can be lowered when the pan gets too hot, and cook the schnitzels on both sides until the meat has been cooked through and the outsides are a golden brown. Schnitzel can be served in multiple ways. A Wiener Schnitzel is served simply with lemon juice. A Jaeger Schnitzel is the way most people eat their Schnitzel in Hessen. It's served with a mushroom-cream sauce. I usually eat schnitzel with fried onions (Zwiebeln.) At home I'll eat schnitzel with boiled potatoes. In German restaurants, schnitzel is served with fried potatoes (Bratkartoffeln) or french fries (Pommes.)

My favorite place to get schnitzel in Germany is from Bembelsche. Bembelsche is an awesome restaurant that serves typical Hessich cuisine. (Hessen is a region in Germany where cities like Mains and Frankfurt are located.) Hessen has its own unique culture and dialect within Germany, and at Bembelsche, the menu has items like Schnitzelsche and Bratkadoeffelscher. If you're in Hessen, make sure to check this place out. Make sure to make a reservation in advance. The place fills up quick!

I hope I've piqued your interest and inspired you to try schnitzel if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment